Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mr and Mrs Z Huia

Mr and Mrs Z Huia 2011
This work was so neat to paint, I had gorgeous vintage photographs to work from for the human elements of the paintings. It was sad however working from images of stuffed birds for the huia.




I so love checking out old photographs, the expressions, what people wore and the attention to detailing in the workmanship.



I did this work in response to hearing that the last known breeding pair of huia, who were meant to make it to an offshore Island in the hope of saving the species, ended up in some English gent's managerie back in the Mother Land. Victorian's and their collections! The 'Z' in the title of the work refers to 'Zachariah' which was taken from the title of a very bleak book I read when in my teens.

If you are interested in seeing more images you can find this work on Felt

No comments:

Post a Comment